THIS IS THE STORY OF MARINERS INN
Mariners Inn was founded in 1925 by the Episcopal Diocese of Michigan and called the Detroit Protestant Episcopal City Mission Society, with its office headquartered at Mariners' Church of Detroit. By 1934 a building on Griswold, owned by the Board of Trustees of Mariners' Church, was refitted as an Inn where lodging, food and clothing were provided for the poor. For several decades the rector of Mariners' Church also served as Superintendent of the Society's work. In 1955 the Griswold building was razed to make way for the Detroit Civic Center and Mariners Inn was moved to its current location at Cass and Ledyard. Mariners Inn is a nonprofit agency that has been providing shelter, substance abuse treatment, and transitional housing for Detroit's homeless men since that time.
Today, Mariners Inn is a leading treatment center, nationally acclaimed for its professional approach toward alleviating the problems of homelessness and substance abuse. Mariners Inn is licensed as a residential and outpatient treatment center through the Office of Substance Abuse Services for the State of Michigan Department of Public Health and accredited by the Commission for the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). The Mayor's Office has cited the Inn as one of Detroit's model programs.